West Ham sack manager Slaven Bilic following poor start to new campaign
West Ham part ways with Slaven Bilic following a poor start to the new season
West Ham have confirmed the sacking of manager Slaven Bilic following a poor start to the season.
Bilic, who was appointed in the summer of 2015 and guided West Ham to seventh place in his first season in charge, slipped to a 4-1 defeat against Liverpool on Saturday as they finished the weekend in the relegation zone.
Former Manchester United manager David Moyes has been tipped to replace the 49-year-old former Croatia defender.
West Ham reportedly held talks with Moyes while Bilic’s future was being reviewed.
The Chairmen and board of West Ham United would like to place on record their thanks and gratitude to Slaven Bilic and his team.https://t.co/rg0Jvoh9Tf
— West Ham United (@WestHamUtd) November 6, 2017
Speaking to Bein Sports on Sunday, the former Everton manager denied there had been contact, but said he wanted to return to club management and was “interested” in the West Ham job.
Moyes said: “I’ve always said I want to go back into club management. If the right opportunity comes around, I’ll be interested.”
Asked specifically about West Ham, the 54-year-old said: “I am interested but at the moment that vacancy has not become available. I know what Slaven must be going through.”
— beIN SPORTS (@beINSPORTS) November 6, 2017
The east London club have won just two Premier League matches in 2017-18 – and lost their first three league matches of the campaign.